Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Shankara lives on ...

Today (9th Nov) its late Shankar Nag's Birthday; one of the most charismatic actor and director who continues to live in our hearts. He was born director and used to work tirelessly for 16 to 20 hours everyday. one the few creative directors sandal wood has ever produced.



Another early death of the most inspiring directors who ever made an impact on me is Puttanna Kangal. A director ahead of time with just 18 movies to his directorial credit and still remembered as one of the greatest. I can write on and go pages about these amazing guys.

About Shankar Nag, his works speaks than anything. Even today my eyes go moist when I see film 'Geetha', amazing direction and acting by Shankar and the story line makes you overwhelm with emotion. How can someone forget those melodies by music Maestro Illaya Raja.

A hard core drunkard and chain smoker, Shankar directed the very own R K Narayan's 'Malgudi Days'. I as a kid never even knew about R K Narayan, but for would be glued to the TV sets. I would say the direction at its best. This is supposed to be the serial made by Shankar for Doordarshan to keep the show going on. I was inspired by this in my collage days and had a few skits and mad-ads directed for the college.



Of late, my friend Ravi has been a regular play goer, and everytime the cell is off; he is at Ranga Shankara. The place where I was a few plays which still holds to me. Plays always have had more impact than the reel stuff on me. Some of the best plays I ever say include 'Sangathi arinya', 'Ninna preethiya Amritha- translated Pakistani play', 'Heegadre hege'. This place is rich in theater culture and one could just watch a few theater greats and personalities walk along.

Shankar Nag lives on in the work he has done to the theater world including Marathi and Kannada. He lives on in the plays of Ranga Shankara and characters played. Thanks to Arundati nag who made this happen. Every art form lives on. Let there be light, Let there be theater, Let there be Shankara, Ranga Shankara. Shankar lives on.

3 comments:

  1. Great one dude ... a nice article on his b'day.

    Truly he is such a great person who did so much in such a small time. And as mentioned his wife is doing a great job in fulfilling his dreams.

    Had been to his b'day celebration @ ranga shankara and it really cool see so many art lovers coming in to appreciate her work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Shankar Nag!
    I have also heard lots about him...Great post, a tribute to the master!

    & We definitely need to celebrate his Bday tonite...!

    love...
    koshy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Raghu, I like the song "jothe yalli..." from Geetha...but movie...since she dies...did not like the ending.I had seen the movie several times but never to completion...as I knew she would die...but once it was aired when I was traveling to Mysore and had to watch it fully and I cried :) Wonderful acting!

    And, Malgudi days..I love this serial. Very nice direction...the way the house is shot is awesome..even the noise that is made when windows are closed and opened are so nicely captured.

    I recently read in the newspaper that a new movie that is to be released is a tribute to him and Shankar Nag's wife has shared certain pictures of his for this movie.

    A very nice write up that in a nut shell speaks about his talents :)

    ReplyDelete