Sunday, November 8, 2009

Planet of the Apes... movie for apes

Weekend movie on home theater ? Yes, this time it's 'Planet of the Apes'. Little did I know about the movie; as I just borrowed the DVD from my colleague. I knew this would be a good and different movie I had ever watched. After hearing a few reviews; I was watching it.

Other day I was watching some crap bollywood movie; and I couldn't control my anger towards it. I felt the movie was like any other movie with songs which were not required and unnecessary fight sequences pin together. I just bluntly blurted 'who the hell will watch such crap movies ?'. My sister just responded back immediately saying 'its not the movie for you... may be someone else wants it that way'. 'may be film doesn't suit you but somebody else'. I think I got the answer there.



About the planet of the apes, amazing story and direction I would say, as the 3 astronauts land on the planet of the apes. Well to begin with; this planet is special and the man is treated like an animal on this place. So the struggle for proving his intelligence begins. Apes rule the roost; they hunt down humans as though they are not worth living.
The best part of the story is when the man is tried in the Apes court as criminal; there are a couple of apes on trial as well for helping the man. The court council reasons out the intelligence and brilliance of the man on trail; the prosecutor question is very simple 'tell me what is the second rule as per the law of apes'... the Man is baffled and is not in a position to even smell anything of that sort.

Funniest part of the story is that apes believe that Humans are inferior to apes; as apes rule the world. Man's insistence is that he is superior and apes just next to the primates and man is more intelligent than apes. Well the struggle goes on and the man gets his well deserved freedom only to find that the very planet apes is earth and was destroyed by man.

Director's view is extremely good and is bound by the fact that there is nothing beyond religion, creed and race. What I mean to say is the very thought of him to show that apes were born after humans destroyed earth; again starts with something like a holy book, may be Bible, Koran or Bhagavad Geetha. Its quite human of him to show that apes again have the holy book with rules on what to do and what not. It has verses as in bible or any other holy book.

I was shocked to see something like this. human can only think till the extent of book of the god and its rules. He again in this movie shows that, the struggle is on to defend the book and its author, however impractical it may be. The rules in book are quite straight forward; 'man is animal and should be destroyed as he causes damage to the ape society in group as he grows'. Well well well, all my thoughts of watching a good movie culminated at that point, just to say that man creates them all in a sense he wants to understand. The same has been transformed in each of the cults, communities and so on.

No wonder, we being in the 21st century behave like apes and more premature than them. Time ticks before we realize that its time that we don't get into the 'lost world', while 'finding Neverland'

4 comments:

  1. You have always been a good critic.And as said by your sister that movie is made for some other viewers like me :) who loves those romantic comedies & running around trees.

    We are so believed in our books and ideologies that we can't make movies with a vision out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Raghu.. after reading this..post..

    i decided, i must follow your blog.
    You look things differently..
    I like the way u do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Vijay. thanks for those words of appreciation. I'm glad that you liked my previous posts too.
    May be a few years ago I would never have any view at all. now with change I see things very straight forward and less differently. I have been through metamorphosis, a simple and continuous phase of change ...
    I'm Thankful and grateful for following my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raghu...
    Am so sorry...i missed out on this post for so long.
    Well, I should surely watch the movie...its the way they think differently that makes such outstanding & a different class of movies.

    keep writing more dude...u rock!

    cheers...
    koshy.

    ReplyDelete