Thursday, April 23, 2009

Strings... It's my life



I used to be regular TV buff during the good old days of doordarshan. Viewers used to get to see couple of movies a week, one being regional(say Kannada) and one Hindi. Those were the days I came across the so called party song "Its my life..."


Most of the movies viewed on TV were made in the 90's and early 2000's. As usual there used to be some kind of outdoor party as part of the college trip or so, only one song used to play in the background, it was "Its my life..." with early version being by Dr.Alban and later by Bon Jovi.

The lyrics is just amazing, it talks about how to live your life in the present. Words those inspiring are "It's now or never. I ain't gonna live forever. I just wanna live while I'm alive".

There is another album by Nsync that had some fabulous numbers. The one "bye bye bye" is true to life with its lyrics the title of the album is catchy, its called "No Strings Attached". Its quite nicely picturised, where song starts with all the puppets breaking the strings that are attached. while on the contrary album picture still shows the strings attached.



Now I was trying to go through the lyrics of both the songs and try and understand them. Its quite easy to understand its my life as it talks about the perfect way to live your life. The lyrics of "No Strings Attached" is not the greatest as it talks about a guys heart with "No Strings Attached".

I too in my teens thought that there is only one way to live, its my life. As time gets over our thoughts, you realize that your not alone, you have a family, a girl friend or a wife. so its gonna be "its our life" and its now "strings attached". Few dare and realize this and get away from these in their early age to have actually "No strings attached". For rest of them its gonna be a life long journey... which one gets used to it, as they say "if rape is inevitable, then enjoy it..." its easier said than done.

It's also quite possible to have the life with "no strings attached", many of the top personalities in various fields of art have proved it. I feel they have indeed lived their lives. As we are talking about songs, I'm inspired by singer and actor late Kishore Kumar, one such... good to read his biography.

It's to be like a clear dew drop on the leaf of the lotus plant, being the part of the slush, and still without attached to it. I'm part of it... still "Strings Attached"

2 comments:

  1. A very good analogy, and even lot of memories are been attached with the songs "Its my life" and "Bye Bye Bye".

    And as i understand "No strings attached" does not mean you cut off from the strings completely, because that would be impossible bcos we happen to live in a closed society.We always feel discontent bcos we try to cut off from these unbreakable strings.

    There is a way we can still live happily with the strings attached :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice thoughts, Raghu... Loved the way you connected the popular songs to real life.

    I think its an art to live with strings attached :), still not sacrificing what you want in life...

    luv
    koshy.

    ReplyDelete